Position: IT Specialist: Database Administration
Region: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to:Technology Manager – IT Systems Support
Department: Technology Division
Under the direction of Technology Manager – IT Systems Support, the Database Administrator is responsible for capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, as well as backup and data recovery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Installing and upgrading the enterprise databases (Oracle, MySQl, MS-SQL) and application tools
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system and servers
- Creating primary database storage structures after application developers have designed an application
- Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application
- Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
- Ensuring compliance with Oracle and MSSQL license agreement
- Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
- Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database
- Maintaining archived data on tape or EMC Data Domain Backup system
- Work as part of a team and provide 7x24 support when required
- Patch Management and Version Control
- Provisioning storage to servers
- Check performance of some key, custom, long running reports and processes.
- Check some key Oracle statistics like buffer hits, dictionary hits, sorts to memory/disk.
Academic/ Professional Qualifications
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in BBIT, Information Technology, Engineering or any-related technical degree from a recognized institution
- 2-6 years relevant experience in a similar position
- Knowledge of the telecommunications industry will be an added advantage
- Networking skills to form collaborative partnerships
- Database Administration
- Backup and recovery
- Good analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to plan and prioritise own and team’s work
- Calmness under pressure
- Continual Improvement
- Depth/Breadth of expertise
This position is open to Kenyan citizens only. If you are up to the challenge & fit the required profile, please apply highlighting how your qualifications, experience and career aspirations match the requirements for this position.
Application should be sent by latest 23th February 2018 , please provide an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) including details of your current telephone contacts and names of three referees. Apply through firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure the job title is quoted on the subject field. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.